When I think of my parent's dining room the first imagine that comes to mind is the silver cabinet. The house I grew up in was an old 1930's home and the dining room still has the original built in corner china cabinet. You don't see many of them anymore, definitely not in LA, but they are one of my favorite old things. My mother filled her cabinet with all of her silver trays and serving ware. The silver only really came out for special occasions so therefore, it always made me think how special it was.
When I was registering for my wedding I loaded up on every piece of serving ware I could find. Crystal and China galore! However, it was extremely difficult to find any fine silver. I soon realized that they really don't make the ornate silver pieces like they used to. It broke my heart a little but I accepted the reality.
However, what I found during my magical thrift experience was that I was missing out on this whole world of vintage pieces. Everything I had at home were brand new shiny out of the box presents ranging from Waterford to Crate and Barrel. But this was a different world. There were blue glass dishes, tall water pitchers from the 1960's, crystal candy dishes, vintage Waterford bar ware....and then I saw it.... a round footed silver ornate tray. It was completely black and looked like it hadn't been polished in a decade, but it was beautiful. It was a heavy substantial piece. The feet were in perfect condition, the border around the tray was extremely detailed, and I could tell on the back that the piece had been signed even though with all the tarnish I couldn't tell by who or what. Then I looked at the price tag....$6. OH MY GOD. There was no turning back. I bought that tray immediately, got some silver polish ($3) on the way home, and got to work.
Within moments of polishing the tray, all of the tarnish washed away and it started to sparkle. My world was rocked. Now I know most people aren't going to have a deeply religious experience over a silver tray. I do realize I'm in the extreme minority, but I think there really is something to that moment of finding a hidden treasure, working with it, and making it something beautiful that can be part of your life. It's the same basic principal that an achievement will always mean more when it is truly worked for.
Now at this point you are probably thinking "She has made me read this entire story about finding a silver tray and I still don't know what to do with it!!!" Well honestly, they are great for all kinds of uses. Most commonly I use the trays to protect my wood furniture from getting wet when I want to set a vase or bowl carrying water directly on the surface. It adds a little sparkle and some more dimension and it's useful! Another thing I like to do when I'm entertaining is to place glasses on it or something that is going to be poured (again, helpful to project furniture). I think they are great for making a station. It shows your guests what you are intending them to use.
Another great way to use them is to dress up your normal every day life. Using a tray for a Sunday morning breakfast makes the start to the day much more luxurious even if you are just having coffee and some fruit in your PJs while watching TV. The uses are endless! When I'm not using them for functional purposes I like to store my trays in a place where they can be displayed. They are a great space filler over or inside cabinets. You can use plate stands to prop them up as a nice backdrop or just keep them out on a dresser. They can even be a great mail station. After all, we are modern domestics and it's important that we find multiple functional uses for everything we have!
So let's recap....
Silver trays are hard to find,
Silver trays are one of a kind,
functional use for everyday,
lots of sparkle, little to pay!
Happy Homing
No comments:
Post a Comment