I genuinely detest apartment blinds. I believe they are the scum of the earth and I do everything I can to avoid living with them. When I walk into my home the last thing I want to look at are apartment blinds. I feel like they are talking to me when I walk in the door. "Hello, I am your apartment blinds. I am reminding you that you do not own this place, you are merely a visitor. Clank Clank Clank Swish Swish....Crash!" I HATE THEM!
So...instead of making my life miserable looking at apartment blinds everyday, I bought myself a screw driver and took those babies down! Now I know to most apartment owners this seems like a huge inconvenience and you never know where to put the old blinds and then you have to go buy new ones. But I'm telling you, it makes a huge difference in your day to day enjoyment of your home. Put the blinds under the bed or behind the TV stand or tucked away on the floor in a closet. Make it work. Drapery is not very expensive and you can find what you are looking for at all different price points. Bed Bath and Beyond has a great selection of window treatments and you can use up some of those 20% off coupons that you get in the mail constantly! (and by the way, in case you all didn't know this - those coupons never expire!).
Most of the drapery in my home I have purchase off the rack with little customization other than my own creativity. However, this weekend I decided to take on a little project for my hideous bathroom window. It's a small window and I need it to still be functional but it just ruins the entire feel of the bathroom when it's bare. So I did a little sewing project.
Now, I know that most people (especially in apartments) don't have sewing machines. I highly recommend that you get one! Mine was a gift from my mom. But you can get them fairly cheap at places like Costco, Jo Ann Fabrics and even occasionally Tuesday Mornings. Even if you don't know how to sew now, it's OK. I hadn't sewn since the 7th grade and I just retaught myself how. It's really not that difficult. It just takes a little patience and practice and you'll be on your way to sewing whatever you like. Trust me, it's a wonderful investment!
Back to the project- All I wanted for my window was a small valence that would stay in place when the window was open and the breeze came through, but that would add a little bit of subtle color. I decided that instead of using a curtain rod, Velcro would hold my valance in place and I wouldn't even have to break out any tools to hang a curtain rod on the wall (it was cheaper too!)
1. I picked out some fabric at my local fabric store (F and S fabrics on Olympic in LA is amazing!) and cut the fabric a couple inches larger than my window. Measure twice, cut once!
2. Then I started sewing. I first hemmed my fabric on all four sides (about 2 inches in).
3. Next I cut out some black lining (the fabric was somewhat translucent in the sunlight and didn't show off how pretty the pattern was so black lining worked best). I sewed the lining on to the valence making sure to tuck the ends of the lining in for a nice hem.
4. Next I cut out my Velcro and sewed the Velcro onto the back edges of the three sides of the valence that were going to touch my wall. (When I purchased my Velcro I bought one set of sew on Velcro and one set of sticky Velcro which would adhere to the wall. Just make sure that you buy opposites so the Velcro will actually stick to each other).
5. To finish off the project I connected my Velcro on to the valance before I placed the Velcro on the wall. This way I could make sure that the Velcro lined up with each other. Just peel off the back of the sticky Velcro, stick it on, and your done!
I did this entire project on a Sunday morning while drinking my coffee, watching a movie and talking with my husband and it only cost $20. I can't tell you the difference that it has made to the whole room. It softens the window and adds just the splash of color I needed. When I wake up in the morning and walk into the bathroom it makes me happy that not only do I have a beautiful custom window treatment but that I made it myself! Until next time...
Happy Homing!
I did this entire project on a Sunday morning while drinking my coffee, watching a movie and talking with my husband and it only cost $20. I can't tell you the difference that it has made to the whole room. It softens the window and adds just the splash of color I needed. When I wake up in the morning and walk into the bathroom it makes me happy that not only do I have a beautiful custom window treatment but that I made it myself! Until next time...
Happy Homing!

Nice job! I wouldn't know where to begin with this stuff but you definitely make it seem very do-able.
ReplyDeleteThanks Ryan! Coming from the blogmaster that means a lot!
ReplyDelete